It was AWESOME!
- I met lots of seriously cool people. I missed most of their names, but that's me - I'll probably get everybody straight by the time I leave.
- I got my "base" - I'm between the Editorial Team and the Big Silver Table of Working, Meeting and Eating, Often Simultaneously.
- We had a mass meal of "Super Duper" burgers, salad, fruit, and chocolate cheesecake to say goodbye to Matt D, who's going back to "school".
- I spent a chunk of time reading and judging the finalists in a contest.
- I found out something of how the site works behind the scenes - I didn't really grok how much work goes on in this happy family to make the site trundle on. Certain folk complain that the staff don't listen to feedback, but I can tell you from the HQ side side of the monitor that most of what gets talked about is what the members are doing and saying.
- Matt gave me a tour of the office, Jessy gave me a tour of the other sites and workshops linked to Instructables (ohhh, toys!), and we spent some time drooling over the very high-end 3D products on display at the AutoDesk building (they're open to public view on Wednesday afternoons - I recommend it).
- I did two other useful things (apart from the judging). One, I robotified my new
mobilecell phone (Kitewife bought two identical cheap handsets so we can stay in touch, just in case), the other is remaining secret - I want to see if the rest of the guys notice that it happened...
- With the family, I went to look at the Bay, saw a flock of parakeets overhead (unfortunately in silhouette, so I don't know what kind they were), didn't see the Golden Gate Bridge through the fog.
Oh, I also decided what to do as my first proper project tomorrow...